Friday, July 30, 2010

Bite Sized Chicken

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

I am trying my best to get away from serving my family processed foods. It is hard when you need something quick and easy. It is simple to pull out a bag of frozen nuggets and pop them in the oven and have dinner in 15-20 minutes.

I think I have perfected my chicken nuggets and Corbin even told me they were better than Wendy's nuggets and McDonalds so I take it as high praise from the 4 yr old expert on chicken nuggets.

By making them yourself you control the amount of sodium, fat, and quality of chicken.

Ingredients

2-3 Chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1 egg
1/2 cup flour (can use whole wheat or soy flour to boost nutrition)
1/4 cup milk
bread crumbs or crushed crackers
oil

beat the egg and add flour and milk to make your batter. You want the batter to cling to the chicken so if it is a bit runny add more flour. Put oil in a deep pan (I use my stock pot to avoid splatters). Put the crackers or bread crumbs in a gallon sized ziplock bag (you can crush them in here). put the chicken bites in the batter at once and stir around until all coated. Take them out a few at a time and put them in the ziplock bag w/ the crumbs. Shake them up and take them out. continue until all the nuggets have crumbCheck Spellings on them. I often will put them all in the bag at once and shake then pour them out in a colander. Once your oil is hot put the nuggets in one at a time until the pan is full. I use a slotted spoon or strainer spoon to turn the nuggets over and around. Once they turn a little darker than golden remove them and place on a napkin to drain the grease off. Then enjoy!!

This has become a family fav and really doesn't take that long to make. I hope you try it and if you do let me know how it turned out.

1 comment: